Public Works, Seasonal Services
The Department of Public Works (DPW) provides a wide range of seasonal services for the residents of Sparta including a leaf pick-up, brush pick-up, and a joint Village-Township Clean-up. The DPW will also replace any mailboxes or posts its plows damage while providing snow and ice removal within the Village.
More information about the seasonal services provided by the Village and DPW can be found at links below. Questions? Call us at 616-887-8251.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the Village does a yard waste/brush pick up that begins in April and lasts until early October.
Yes, the Village does a loose leaf pick up that generally runs from early October until the end of November, weathering permitting.
Michigan Department of Transportation
Comsumer Energy- Downed Power Line and Electric Safety
For information regarding what to do in the case of a downed power line, a power outage, or any other power related issues, please Click Here
DTE Energy- Report a Gas Leak
For information regarding gas leaks and the Do's and Don'ts regarding gas leaks, Click Here
2020 Sparta Village & Township Spring Clean-Up
Sparta Village and Township will be holding a Spring Clean-Up for residents beginning on Thursday, April 23rd, 2020, and continuing through Saturday, April 25th, 2020.
Thursday, April 23rd, and Friday, April 24th, will begin at 1:00 PM and conclude at 8:00 PM. Saturday, April 25th, will begin at 9:00 AM and conclude at 3:00 PM.
There have been a number of changes to what is accepted in recent years. Please review the list below to confirm the item you are bringing is accepted.
Accepted Items: (Residents are expected to unload their own yard waste and materials).
- Appliances - Refrigerators will have to have coolant removed with certificate (check with an appliance store)
- Electronics, computers - (No CRT TV's, CRT Monitors or leaded glass TV's will be accepted)
- Scrap Metal (Tin, Steel, Aluminum)
- Furniture, Mattresses, Miscellaneous large items
- Tires (limit of 4 per household) - Must have rim removed
- Propane Tanks, Car Batteries, Household batteries
- Yard Waste - Grass, Leaves, branches and limbs smaller than four (4") in diameter.
- Household trash or waste
- Hazardous Waste (No Liquids, Gas Tanks, CO2 Cylinders, Paint Thinners, Weed Killers, Bug Sprays, Oil Based Paint, Acids). Please contact Kent County at 616-632-7939 for direction on disposal.
- Construction or building materials (scrap metal accepted per list above)
- Boats over 12 feet in length
Eligible items may be dropped off behind the Sparta Village Department of Public Works garage, located at 276 W Division Street.
ID's WILL BE CHECKED AT THE GATE.